When an emergency occurs:
- Do not attempt to lift or shift the injured person unless they are in immediate danger
- If unconscious, put into lateral position and check for breathing and pulse
- Do not leave the injured person. Send someone else for help
- Ring Ambulance - speed dial 041 or 000
- If the person becomes clammy and cold (shock) cover with a rug
- For children - print emergency details from EDSAS and hand copy to Ambulance driver/Doctor.
Do not remove the original card from the school
- Call parents, relatives, etc
- Record details of accident on sheet in the Sick Room.
- Accident report form ED155 to be completed.
- Treat child or if too complicated get help for other staff
- Record details of accident and treatment on the sheet in the Sick Room
- In the case of a child hitting their head, report this to parents by phone. If this is not possible send home a note.
- Children should be assessed and a decision made regarding take home or return to class.
- First two dot points as for minor accident
- Child should be assessed and a decision made regarding take home or return to class.
- If parents cannot be contacted, make sure the child is checked at regular intervals
- Common sense in dealing with all these matters is essential
- Reasonable care conditions varied with the nature of the accident / illness and the age of the person concerned